small boxes tutorial, part two -- gift card box

ok, i finally got the chance to photograph my gift card boxes!  yippy!  that means i can share part 2 of the small boxes tutorial and offer you the template.

if you missed part one last week, you can read it here.  it actually shows you all of the supplies you need to make the box, as well as how to assemble it.  the supplies and steps are the same, whether you make the small favor box or the larger gift card box which i'll show you today.  you can download the template for the gift card box here.


i wanted to show you a few examples that i made to give you some ideas for what you can do with these.  the first few photos are of boxes that were included in the original post on the Crate Paper blog.  i put the box together and decorated it with some seam binding and an Acorn Avenue Standout.  


the blue flower paper is a mini card i made to house the gift card using another standout and a tape sticker.  this set was musically themed--perfect for an iTunes or Amazon gc.


these other samples are new for this post and the reason for the delay...the first photos i took of them came out poorly and then it was several days before i had the opportunity to try again.  luckily, they came out better the second time.  


with the holidays approaching, i thought it would be a good idea to make a few using Crate's Sleigh Ride collection.  the nice thing about these guys is that you can dress them up as much or as little as you'd like.  i kept mine relatively simple only because if you have a lot of gifts to wrap, it's probably best not to spend hours decorating them.  

  
scrunched pink seam binding with a glittery button is easy to do but packs a big punch.  a Sleigh Ride phrase sticker, some punches and paper scraps, and an adhesive gem are also simple elements but create a nice little combo when layered together.


this box is even simpler.  the reindeer are so cute that the box doesn't need much else--some white twine, part of a tag, and another snowflake punch.  i think it helps when the embellishments are not all centered.  


i love this paper and wanted to be sure that the cluster of chartreuse and gray trees was visible when i added my decorations.  all i did was wrap a length of cream bamboo yarn around the box a few times, tie it in a bow, and add the "merry & bright" tag.  it took less than 5 minutes!  


so there's no need to go nuts on the details for these boxes.  just the fact that you took the time to make them yourself is saying so much.  with the addition of a few easy elements, you have a beautiful and personal way to give impersonal items such as gift cards or even cash.

i hope you enjoyed part 2 of my tutorial.  please don't hesitate to email me or leave a comment if you have any questions.  and if you decide to make these, i'd love to see them!  


Comments

  1. I totally love these Christmas cards and boxes. I am commenting on your cards too. .. I really love the all white one and what it represents and my favorite is the one with the dove because that is my favorite Christmas idea - peace. This is getting me so excited about Christmas, which I am allowing myself to do now that Halloween is over. The box with the trees is beautiful and I especially love that you used the word "chartreuse" because my Papa Murphy always used to use that word and it became a joke with me and him and we always wondered exactly what that color looked like. Now we know!!
    Becky, I do not have the patience or the talent to attempt these beautiful cards and boxes but I can still look and admire, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Erin! I'm so glad to know that even though you may not want to make these yourself, at least you are inspired by the things I'm putting up here. I am so excited for Christmas this year and I love that I am able to "celebrate" and enjoy it for so long. I feel like I hardly got to enjoy it at all last year and I'm determined not to let that happen again this year! Oh, and I love the color chartreuse! It's one of my all-time favorites! I really and truly appreciate your comments! (P.S. I hope poor Mallory is feeling much better by now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How stunning..like the tags you use for it..i would like to do same with Gift Card envelopes when i have to design it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

i do appreciate your comment!
~Rebecca